Free message board, discussion forum, online community for techies in South Africa

programmers, message board, freelance developers, South Africa
techies.co.za Forum Index

a free bulletin board, forum, online community for techies based in South Africa

techies.co.za Forum Index -> Home Entertainment ->  TV

TV

Multiple DSTV decoders with single RF cable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidjo

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2007 16h15    Post subject: Multiple DSTV decoders with single RF cable Reply with quote

Hi,

Please help with un-educated question!

Would like to know if the following is possible:

- Muliple DSTV decoders

- Each decoder permanently 'tuned' to a different station i.e. SKY NEWS / VH1 / etc...

- RF feeds from decoders 'combined?' to 1 cable

- single cable goes into splitter

- splitter feeds multiple plasmas with built-in tv tuners (RF in)

Imagine an building with multiple plasmas in various locations. Would you be able to change channels between multiple DSTV decoders and/or SABC etc on each plasma without affecting other plasmas' channel selection?

Or is this just crazy?

tx

mibloem

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2007 17h51    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite simple to do. You just connect the decoders in a chain using the RF in and RF out connectors. Then you can just connect the RF out from the last decoder to the distribution network for the screens. (Splitters, amps etc.)

Here is the trick: you need to set the RF output of the Dstv decoders to different channels, otherwise they will try to put SKY, CNN etc on the same frequency.

Once that is done, you just need to tune the screens to the unique channel you've assigned to each decoder. Please note off couse that this will require that you have a valid DSTV subscription for each decoder, which can be quite an expensive proposition.

To keep costs low in the long run, I would suggest you use two PVR's. Each PVR can output 2 channels via RF, which means you will be able to do four channels with only two decoders. The Dualview can output one channel via RF, so you would need to use a modulator in the RF chain to introduce the AV feed for TV1. Dualviews are not officialy aviable any more, so you might need to get them second hand if you want to use them.

Once this is done, each screen will be able to tune to a channel independently.

kidjo

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2007 10h40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick answer Mibloem,

Your answer makes total sense. (Although I've had to do a bit of research to understand the technical terms!)

I have been pricing PVR's and they're around 4 times the price! (PVR ~ R 3000 and DD990 ~ R 700)

Given that it is an office installation I will probably go for single DD990's each tuned to a different channel i.e. Supersport, SKY etc. Up to about 10-12.

I did not know that you could set the output channel on the DSTV decoder itself! Great, this means I don't need any rf channel modulators. So, I'll setup up 10-12 different output channels (1 for each decoder), from there I'll go into a combiner, I'll also bring in a normal antennae feed (SABC etc) via a filter/s to block out the channel frequencies I'm using for my inhouse (DSTV) feeds, and then combine that with the DSTV feeds above.

I have some lenghty distances involved so will probably need an amp or 2.

I'll then be able to tune each tv to the each channel provided above and then be able to switch between multiple channels on multiple tv's independentaly of each other. AWESOME Smile

Thanks for your help!

mibloem

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2007 11h45    Post subject: subscriptions Reply with quote

You may need to look into the cost of the subscriptions:

Even if you only have one channel per subscription, runnning 10 decoders will mean 10 subscriptions. Using a dualview or a pvr should in theory allow you to cut the subscirption cost in half.

Have a look at this page for DSTV's business subscription rates.

War

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2007 14h10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without using a balanced video distribution system, you're going to have progressively worse quality as you add more displays. For installations with more than a handful of displays, you really need to look at dedicated distribution hardware to handle this for you. MultiChoice or your local satellite installer can probably recommend something.

Commercial subscriptions are typically charged per TV and not per smartcard. If this is the case, you probably won't save much by going this route.

cclarity

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jul 2007 11h40    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want ro run 14 decoders you WILL nead proper modulators and a distrubution system. What you want is a SMATV system like I do for the hotels. PVR sare not allowed in the commertiol enviroment fo obvios resons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    techies.co.za Forum Index -> TV All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: